Monday, December 10, 2007

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in w22n51.sys

The old laptop has had a few blue screens of death recently, with the above error message. They seem to occur in situations where there is a lot of parallel network activity. It took much longer than I had hoped to find a solution, which is why I'm writing about it here (although I should also write about it in pages with higher pagerank).

The answer was simple: go to http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ and update the drivers for the wireless networking hardware.

To explore, you might like to look at the device manager (Hold down windows key and press break, choose Hardware, Device Manager), select wireless networking, and drivers. You'd see the w22n51.sys file there. After the update, you'll find that the file is called w22n59.sys.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The file name was slightly different.
w22n51.sys (old)
versus
w29n51.sys (new)
Download from intel the Bluetooth 2200 BG driver.
http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2200bg/index.htm

14000 said...

windows key + break --- nice, will save me time in the future ;)

Anonymous said...

This post helped me tremendously. I updated my Proset Inter wireless driver and my machine got updated with the new file w2951.sys and the old file was deleted. And wireless network came back to life.

Thanks.